This week I heard a great podcast from the folks over at takecontroladhd.com about how to persevere when you’re feeling overwhelmed. Even if you don’t have ADHD, these were great tip for remaining centered and focused on the task at hand:
- Breathe – 2 minutes of slow breathing will reset your brain, allowing you to focus.
- Get a Second Opinion – We get so caught up in our own stuff, we forget to do a reality check. As a friend for advice or just a word of encouragement.
- Break It Down Into Small Pieces – A great starting place for any project. It sounds a little vague in the abstract though, how about this: Set a timer for 30 minutes right now, and make a start!
- Focus On Just The Piece You Are Working On – It’s so easy to get distracted, (I just now remembered a task I left unfinished in another room!) but keep going on the step you are on, until it’s done.
- Remember Self-Care – You’ll be able to focus better if you have had enough sleep and are eating healthy foods that give you energy.
Nikki Kinzer and Pete Wright have a podcast about organizing tips and strategies for managing ADHD, I’d encourage you to check it out here.